Change macOS System Version
From LogiWiki - Your Wiki for all things Apple MacBook and iPhone relatedJump to navigationJump to search
Follow this procedure when you need to update macOS from a version prior to 10.8 to a more recent OS.
Make sure a password is set up for the admin user. THIS WILL NOT WORK IF THERE IS NO PASSWORD.
- Log in to the customers admin user account.
- Open Terminal.
- Copy and paste the following command: sudo nano -w /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist
- Press enter
- Enter the admin password (it will not show any characters as you type!) and press enter.
- Use the arrow keys to navigate to the end of the version number where shown highlighted below. Replace this number with 10.8.6
- Use the arrow keys to navigate to the end of the second number shown below and replace again with 10.8.6
- Press control + x to exit and when prompted to save modified buffer type y to save.
- Press enter to accept the default file name.
- Exit Terminal.
- Restart and run the OS installer that you wish to upgrade to.